Forget the turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes—email marketers have more than menus to think about this week! Between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday, an estimated 69 percent of Americans plan to shop this weekend. This means retailers, companies, and brands are in a frenzy for consumer attention. And email marketers are charged with grabbing that attention. So if you need some last minute inspiration for your own Black Friday and Cyber Monday emails, you’re in the right place. Check out some of our favorites, with tips on how to make these designs your own.
Article: Keep it simple and skimmable
Subject: Let the Black Friday savings begin
Also, check out the hero image, which is this cute GIF:
- Create a “boxed” email effect like Article’s.
- Know our best practices for animated GIFs in email.
- How to keep it simple: why you don’t need a navigation menu at the top of your email.
MAC: Go black and white
Subject: Last Day to Choose Your COMPLIMENTARY Full-Size Gift
- Try a monochromatic color scheme for inbox impact.
- Make sure your CTA button text is in your brand voice (or at least not “Learn more” or “Click here”).
REI: Opt out (with user-generated content)
Subject: REI is Closing. Again.
- Creating a photo collage like REI’s? Make sure it’s responsive.
- Feature brand loyalists when you create a hashtag like #OptOutside (similar to Glossier’s campaign and many others like it).
Bodum: Add a countdown
Subject: Black Friday Countdown Is On: We Have Big Surprises Coming Up, Stay Tuned!
And yes, you guessed it: that’s a dynamic countdown timer:
- It’s not hard to add a live countdown timer to your email! Here are our easy instructions.
- Polish your countdown timer by knowing how to use HTML background colors alongside images.
Origins: Show products with animation
Subject: FREE Full-Size Origins Faves! Better than Pumpkin Pie.
Here’s the GIF in action:
- Here’s a tutorial on how to properly incorporate GIFs in email.
- Using a background image behind your email content? Optimize it for mobile devices by using live text atop the image.
Strand Books: Draw attention to deals
Subject: Black Friday and Books: Prep Now, Shop Later ????????????
- Incorporate spot illustrations to charm your readers.
- Make that CTA button tappable on mobile by using a full width design.
Cosmopolitan: Make sure to get personal
Subject: Rebecca, Get a Full Year for Just $5!
Total: 0 - Average: 0